Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Robbin Crosby: Ratt Infestation at Radio City Music Hall

Through a close connection at MTV Networks, I scammed two tickets to the 2nd Annual (1985) MTV Music Video Awards.  The scene: screaming with the throng at the red carpet, fighting for drinks in the upper lobby, talking my way to the backstage media area with my National Geographic employee ID card ("SURE it's a press credential!") and being floored by Run DMC's performance in black suits, hats and white Adidas.

The Infestation Has Begun...
As the smoke cleared and the barricades fell at the end of the event, I vaulted the center section, 4 rows back from the stage, and found myself shoulder to elbow with 6' 5" red-leather-clad Ratt guitarist Robbin "King" Crosby.  Now I was a wild Ratt fan but I always thought Warren Dimartini had a hotter pick than Robbin; nevertheless, there was the King and I smartly exclaimed "Hey! Robbin Crosby!  Wow, man, it's great that you're here!"  What a dopey thing to say.

Crosby looked at me and beamed. Clearly out of his mind.  "Cool, man, yeah that's right!"  He slapped me on the back with his pick hand as we shuffled past each other in the row.

In his heyday, Crosby played a Gibson Flying V and later teamed up with Jackson Guitars who manufactured a custom axe they named the "King V" in his honor.  Lucky fellow Robbin dated Tawney Kitaen for 7 years and allegedly fought O.J. Simpson over her. In time he succumbed to drug problems, eventually contracting 'needle' AIDS, and he died in 2002 of a heroin overdose.  He weighed over 400 pounds at the time of his death.

"When I die, nobody cry at my funeral, in fact let's all have a party; I've lived the life of ten men. I lived all my dreams and more." (R.C.)

No comments: