Friday, December 23, 2011

A Mile High with Joe Theismann and Cathie Lee Crosby

(IAD, Sunday morning, December 23, 1984):  Vaulting from the tarmac onto a 7:30am flight from Washington to see the family for Christmas, I saw that row 1 was "reserved" (unusual for a PeopleExpress cattle-car), and grabbed the middle seat in row 2.  Eventually every seat on the plane was taken save that first row and the captain announced that we'd be waiting just a minute or two more and then we could 'secure the cabin doors' and be on our way to Boston.

Theismann: Confident in his Masculinity
Moments later, huffing and puffing, into the cabin charge Redskins ace QB Joe Theismann and "That's Incredible" hostess Cathie Lee Crosby.  Each in a floor-length fur coat!

The entire plane roars at the sight of their hometown quarterback and his gorgeous, glamorous girlfriend.  Down they plunk into the row ahead of me.

Cathy Lee: Catfight!
The two were obviously enchanted with each other - totally engrossed, beaming and smiling together the entire short flight.  I too was spellbound.  His stature, her hair, her perfume...  Her hair right there within reach... But I knew enough to not make an ass of myself, so I left them in peace.

CLC - The Poster
Not so restrained, the clown in row 3.  Over my shoulder came a gasping, panting Redskins fan, with pen and airline in-flight magazine in his hand.  Grunting and motioning 'forward', begging, pleading with me to tap Joe on the shoulder for an autograph.  I shook him off, but he kept flailing, so I reached between the seats and interrupted our QB.  "Excuse me," I said.  As he looked back at me, I made a very exaggerated gesture back over my own shoulder, shaking my head, raising my eyebrows and shrugging as if to say "Guys like you and I, Joe - we have to put up with these 'little people' interruptions. I know it's a pain but we understand it comes with the territory!"

I brokered the transaction, in each direction, and then the rest of the flight passed without incident.  When we landed, again there was pomp and circumstance as we were asked to 'remain seated' until our celebrities could de-plane.  That we did.

The two must have felt that they could slip away, for a  moment during this magical "bye-week" bubble of time between the Skins' December 16th 29-27 final game victory over the St. Louis Cardinals, and their coming December 30th 23-19 playoff loss to the Chicago Bears.

Before his next Christmas, Theismann would suffer [see 0:50 in this clip] his terrible, career-ending injury during a sack at the hands of Lawrence Taylor of the Giants.

But on this day - helming the great Washington Redskins, flying high in a fur coat, in love with his sweet All-American girl, and with visions of Christmas sugarplums surely dancing in his head, Joe Theismann was on top of the world.




And I was there with him!

Let's not forget: Cathy Lee played Wonder Woman before Lynda Carter did!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too bad you didn't see the TV Special they broadcast in DC about good ole Joe when he was their famous quarterback. He was wearing his fur coat and riding on a horse-drawn sleigh on his Virginia estate. He seemed to want everyone to think he was Father Christmas. The media was promoting him as family man extraordinaire. A few weeks later, his wife Shari exposed the fact that he had been having an affair with Cathy Lee Crosby and he was no family man. Apparently, Shari could no longer stand his egotistical behavior and decided to expose the truth.

Tom Porter said...

Right - Shari dumped him, he had several years with Cathie Lee but they never married; later he married Miss Connecticut for a few years, and he's now married to Robin, of whom she says [ http://vimeo.com/45324637 01:30 ] "My wife and I sleep a whole lot better, and we wake up feeling more refreshed, and younger!"

Anonymous said...

He wound up suing Cathy Lee for half her net worth when they broke up and now his third wife is divorcing him. Her lawyer stated that when his wife confronted him about cheating on her and why he did it, he said "because God wants Joe Theismann to be happy." What a piece of sh*t. One would think having your leg snapped like a toothpick at the hands of LT that you would learn a bit of humility.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have seen it in the lock room at Rasberry Falls Golf and Hunt Club. He likes to go there and hit on the local housewives of that community.