Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Nantucket Week: Billy Joel

Well I'm on the Downeaster "Alexa"
And I'm cruising through Block Island Sound
I have charted a course to the Vineyard
But tonight I am Nantucket bound


In the early summer of 1994, People Magazine was reporting the unthinkable: Billy Joel had chosen to end his marriage to supermodel Christie Brinkley. Seeking solace in solitude, he hie thee away'd to the pricey-est hotel on Nantucket Island. Situated out at the end of the paved road in a “haulover” area of dunes betwixt the eastern edge of the Harbor and the rolling waves on the Atlantic, sits The Wauwinet - with rooms and out-cottages going then for up to $1,195/night. Joel was as far from the madding crowd as one can get, without letting air out of the tires and forging over the dunes to Great Point.

About 3pm on a spectacular June day, I was walking onto the property at The Wauwinet, when at me came a golden SUV with New York plates, and its solitary occupant. A moment of recognition and Yes! that familiar unshaven, hangdog face above the steering wheel! He edged across the bricked speed-bump and eased forward, now about 10 feet ahead of me. Absolutely Billy Joel!

Elton John may have bested Mr. Joel as the superstar pop-pianist in the '70's (and well beyond)... but there's no question that Billy had much better luck with the ladies. What I questioned at that moment was the Piano Man's judgment. Thinking of Christie's perfect, All-American smile, and how this Long island cad had wiped it from her face, I looked up at the passenger window and mouthed the word “Whyyyyy???” He stared me down steely-eyed and drove right on.

How wrong I was. Turns out that, while Billy had been suffering in the hospital with kidneystones late that winter, his gorgeous wife had been carrying on an affair with soon-to-be third husband Richard Taubman, who'd secretly proposed to her in March.

Toppers at The Wauwinet serves a great Gin Martini in their tiny bar enclave, and whenever there I imagine the Piano Man sipping alone in the corner, perhaps with an old copy of the Sports Illustrated 1979 Swimsuit issue in his hands...

2 comments:

Toad said...

But Elton had better luck with the guys, no?

Tom Porter said...

He certainly has had. Although there was that inscrutable period when he married, then divorced, Renate Blauel. Life's rich pageant....