Sunday, August 29, 2010

Nantucket Week: Anne Meara

I was stroller-ing north along Center Street one June morning in 1994, pushing my infant daughter ahead of me when a familiar face exited the Center Street Market and onto the sidewalk

I knew comedy duo Stiller & Meara from 1960's appearances on Ed Sullivan, the Smothers Brothers, etc. and for their "Blue Nun" wine commercials. Though they've became renowned also as Ben's parents, at this time he'd only begun to get visibility doing weird stuff like MTV "Rock The Vote."

Here came Anne Meara - Brooklyn bray and arms out - announcing, not asking, at top volume: "This Bay-beee! I gotta pinch this cute Bay-beeeee!

She leaned forward and seized my little girl's rosy cheeks and kneaded them with her thumbs 'til they both glowed.

I loved Anne Meara in The Out Of Towners (1970) and, of course, co-starring with sonny Ben-chick in Zoolander (2001).  What a bold, fantastic, old-school comic - and what a piece a woik!

No comments: