Sunday, December 5, 2010

Playdates with Tama Janowitz

Tama Janowitz + Thomas A. Porter = Tom A. Janowitz
After I became a nursery school student, I had to deal with extroversions of every imaginable shape and size.  So she was an obstreperous child - are you surprised?  80's lit. brat-pack & NYC art/scene darling Tama Janowitz spent pre-school days in the classroom with yours truly, wreaking general havoc (her family was also at my home the weekend of JFK's funeral)

During the 60's, Tama's mum Phyllis was a grad student in my dad's U. Mass. English Department, and her dad Julian a psychiatrist - about the only one in town, in those days (now Amherst requires dozens of professionals to keep people from the tipping point).

My prime memory of Tama is from a July 4, 1964 cookout.  Julian had dug a huge pit in the driveway to roast a gigantic pig.  It should have been the center of attention.  But the performing daughter entertained one and all, peaked on the attention, collapsed in a tantrum and was carried off.

Twenty-two years later, as Slaves of New York hit big and Tama became toast of New York with her Warhol, Sid Vicious and Indochine credentials, my mother reminded me that we'd been 'mates and played at each other's houses.  "You must look up Tama Janowitz, next time you're in New York!" she urged. While it certainly seemed like the thing to do, I've never crossed paths with Tama in adult life... but Julian's still in the area, and going strong.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

um thanks for sharing but please allow me to correct part of your memory. i was told to assist in preparing for this pig roast for several days beforehand; and worked hard and with excitement for this event.
as the time got nearer and guests arrived my father told me i wasn't actually invited to the party and was supposed to go home.
i was so upset - yes, i had a tempertantrum - why would you want a kid to do all the work and help and THEN let them know they couldn't be there at the party?
tama janowitz

Tom Porter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tom Porter said...

I am happy, happy to stand corrected Tama. From my limited 5 year old's perspective, that pig-roast was an uncharacteristically brash, ambitious affair for Amherst in 1964. People talked about it for years. I suppose those were the halcyon days of the Pioneer Valley...!

Thanks for being in touch - perhaps we'll cross paths again for real, after all. Been to any good parties lately?
;-)