Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Elizabeth, er - Eleanor Clift: Be My Valentine!

McLaughlin Group's Eleanor Clift
Battling Pundit Interruptrices:

At a table for eight (with wife at other elbow), I sat to the left of hard-left apologist* Eleanor Clift while attending a lovely Washington luncheon on Valentine's Day, 2000.  The event was held for the benefit of some cause or another, and featured Steve and Cokie Roberts talking about their lovey-dovey joint biography, "From This Day Forward."

Agronsky & Co.'s Elizabeth Drew
Like an idiot, I confused Ms. Clift (sister-in-law of the late Monty) with Elizabeth Drew, and I addressed her as "Elizabeth" all throughout the lunch.

My Valentine Eleanor was too polite to correct me!

* Of the strident Clift it is said that:
During the Clinton Administration, she was jokingly referred to as Eleanor "Rodham" Clift or Eleanor "Rodham Clifton," because of her fierce defense of Hillary Rodham Clinton and Bill Clinton. (Wikipedia)

No comments: