Saturday, September 4, 2010

Alexandra Steele: Here's That Rainy Day

After fleeing Nantucket ahead of Hurricane Earl and then falling asleep in the wee small hours in front of The Weather Channel's half-decent coverage, I awoke with visions of Alexandra Steele dancing in my head.

Ten years ago, Alexandra was big-market local weathergirl (er, "meteorologist") in Washington DC.  One wet, snowy Saturday eve in mid-December, my wife and I trudged across the lawn for our next door neighbors' annual tuxedo-optional Christmas party & piano singalong, carrying an overdressed eight-day-old baby in our arms.  Our friends had invited a colleague from the WRC "News4" team at NBC's O&O station, and in the door came Ms. Steele radiant, like a warming trend of 80-degree sunshine.

She and I found ourselves sitting together, clowning and singing a few songs.  My wife, noticing our camaraderie, quickly pulled me aside to point out the pure folly of Alex's toes, dripping from the slush she'd walked through in strappy summer sandals.  And handed me the baby.

Later I asked my weathergirl if she'd had any idea that the weather would be so foul when she was dressing for the party.  She dangled the sandal off her toe, looked right at me with a winning twinkle in her eye, and said in southern molasses, "Ah nevvuh pay attention to that stuff!" 

As the man says: "How beautiful she is!"

Maybe I should have saved those leftover dreams...

2 comments:

Misha said...

Alexandra Steele is The Web’s Most Wanted Alexandra!
(Check your score for your name too.)
More raw data is here.
Baby Names Alert.

Tom Porter said...

"She's my Most Wanted as well," he offered politely.